About the District
Aptos/La Selva Fire Protection District serves the residents, businesses, and visitors to Aptos, Rio Del Mar, and La Selva Beach. The 27 square mile coverage area is home to 30,000 permanent residents and features diverse natural features and attractions for both residents and tourists.
The District is an all-hazards fire district, providing the following services to the community:
- Advanced life support emergency medical services
- Aquatic rescue
- Fire suppression in structural, wildland, and urban interface
- Urban search and rescue services
As an All-Hazard District, Advanced Life Support Paramedics are staffed at each station. Members are trained in Aquatic Rescue, Over-the-Edge (angled rescue), and Urban Search and Rescue operations.
The District operates 3 fire stations and an administration office. The District is currently in a Shared Services agreement with Central Fire Protection District of Santa Cruz County, and employs a workforce consisting of:
- 1 Fire Chief
- 1 Director of Human Resources*
- 1 Director of Finance*
- 2 Fire Inspectors*
- 1 Fire Marshal*
- 1 Deputy Fire Marshal
- 2 Administrative Assistants
- 1 Payroll Specialist*
- 1 Accounting Specialist*
- 3 Seasonal LE-100 Inspectors
- 3 Division Chiefs
- 3 Battalion Chiefs*
- 9 Fire Captains
- 9 Firefighters
- 12 Firefighter/Paramedics
These personnel are distributed between the District’s Suppression Personnel, Fire Prevention Bureau, Management Team, and Administrative Staff.
* Denotes inclusion of Central FPD employees working for both Central and Aptos/La Selva FPD, as part of the Shared Services agreement.
Board of Directors
Aptos/La Selva Fire Protection District is governed by a five-member Board of Directors, members of which are elected to a four-year staggered term. The Board of Directors provides oversight to the District and represents the residents and businesses of the communities we serve.