History Minimize

Brief History of Aptos/La Selva Fire Protection District

  • Aptos Fire Protection District Established in 1930
  • Reaffirmed and documented by Secretary of State in 1958
  • Hired first full-time employees in 1964
  • District constructed Station #1 at 6934 Soquel Dr. in 1968
  • District constructed Station #2 at 300 Bonita Dr. in 1973
  • District implements County's first Paramedic Program in 1978
  • District committed to Joint Power Authority with La Selva Beach Fire Protection District and added Station #3 at 312 Estrella Dr. in 1985
  • District consolidated with La Selva Beach FPD in 1986
  • La Selva Beach Station Constructed in 1939
  • District annexed Day Valley Area in 1988
  • District constructed Administration Office, connected to Station #1 in 1993
  • District annexed Spring Valley Area in 2006
  • District annexed Eastern Boundary Area in March of 2007

ALS Engines, circa 1970's Minimize


Station 1 - Circa 1968 Minimize

Several community members were present at the grand opening of what is now our
District Headquarters, at 6934 Soquel Drive, Aptos. 

Prior to the opening of our Soquel Drive station, there was a main station located at 8060 Aptos Street (which was later converted for retail and restaurant use).  Officers Dick Dyer and Milt Reifke are pictured above, in these 1964 photos.


Early Apparatus Minimize

This 1922 model of a 750 gallon Triple Combination apparatus (originally shipped to Dinuba F.D. in CA) was similar to those used by the original La Selva Beach firefighters.   With manual transmission and about 140 hp, these units were used mostly for show and parade use by the late 50's and 60's.


Copyright 2008 by Aptos/La Selva Fire District Powered by Pagoda Technologies LLC Webmaster Login Terms Of Use Privacy Statement