A/LSFD Master Plan Meeting
The Aptos/La Selva Fire Protection District invites the public to attend a Special Board Meeting/Public Meeting on February 23, 2017, at 7:00 pm, regarding development a Fire District Master Plan. Those unable to attend the meeting may also add their input in our feedback section, to the right of this article (all community feedback submitted prior to March 1 will be considered during the planning process). For details, visit our Board of Directors page.
National Burn Awareness Week
February 5-11 is National Burn Awareness Week! Each year, over 450,000 burn injuries occur in the United States that are serious enough to require medical treatment.
Between 2007 and 2013, the proportion of burn center admissions due to scald burns increased from 29.8% to 33.7%. Approximately 62% of these scald burns occur in children under the age of 5. A few simple steps can make a huge difference in keeping your children (and others) safe from the dangers of scalding burns.
- Set your water heater at 120 degrees F (48 degrees C), or just below the medium setting.
- Use a thermometer to test the water coming out of your bath water tap.
- Run your hand through bath water to test for hot spots.
- Use back burners and turn pot handles toward the back of the stove, so children cannot pull them down.
- Use oven mitts when cooking or handling hot food and drinks.
- Stir and test food cooked in the microwave before serving. Open heated containers away from you, from back to front.
- Keep children away from the stove when cooking by using a safety gate for younger children, and marking with tape a 3-foot "no kid zone" for older children.
- Keep hot drinks away from the edge of tables and counters, and avoid using tablecloths and placemats.
- Use a travel mug with a tight-fitting lid for all hot drinks.
- Never hold or carry a child while you have a hot drink in your hand.
For more info on scalding prevention, watch the video below:
Invitation to Bid - Weed Abatement Contractor
The District is seeking a qualified Weed Abatement Specialist for lot clearing services during our Spring/Summer 2017 Weed Abatement season. Bid packets are available during normal business hours at our Administration Office at 6934 Soquel Drive, Aptos CA 95003, or online at the link provided below. Sealed bids must be received at our Administration Office no later than Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 5:00 PM. Postmarks will not be accepted. For more information, contact our Prevention Bureau at (831) 685-6690.
Admin Office Holiday
The A/LSFPD Administration Office will be closed on Monday, February 20, for Presidents Day. We wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday weekend!