Burn Awareness Week
February 1-7 is National Burn Awareness Week, and this year’s theme is “Scald Injury Prevention”. Most scalding injuries happen in the kitchen, and children are at a particularly high risk of these. It only takes a single second for a child to be burned by hot fluids or steam! The following video has some very helpful tips on preventing scald injuries in the kitchen.
This video has some helpful tips on Cooking Safety:
Some important safety precautions to prevent scalding injuries are:
- Use the back burner when possible and/or turn pot handles away from the stove's edge, to prevent spills due to overturn of appliances containing hot food or liquids.
- Keep appliance cords coiled and away from counter edges.
- Use oven mitts or potholders when moving hot food from ovens, microwave ovens, or stovetops. Never use wet oven mitts or potholders as they can cause scald burns. Replace old or worn oven mitts.
- Open heated food containers slowly, away from the face to avoid steam burns. Hot steam escaping from the container or food can cause burns.
- Foods heat unevenly in microwave ovens. Stir and test before eating.
For more information on burn prevention and treatment, visit the American Burn Association website at: http://www.ameriburn.org/preventionBurnAwareness.php, or for child-specific safety tips, visit www.preventchildinjury.org.
Admin Office Holiday
The A/LSFPD Admin Office will be closed on Monday, February 15th, for Presidents Day. We wish you and your family a safe & happy holiday weekend!
Free Car Seat Safety Event
Did you know that 75% of car seats are installed incorrectly? Help keep your child safe and snug in a free "Car Seat Fitting Station" event held on Saturday, Feb. 20th at Dominican Hospital. Inspections are by appointment only, and can be scheduled via Jennifer Blanke at 831-462-7266. For more details, see the flyer listed in our Car Seat Safety page.
Fire Captain Promotional Opportunity
The District is accepting applications for the position of Fire Captain (internal only). To view the full job announcement for this position, visit our Career Planning Page.